AE 212: Introduction to Engineering Design
This guide was created to support students in AE 212 in their final design project.
Google Search Tips
Term OR Term
Searches for results with either term
avian OR bird
Enlcose words in quotation marks to search for words in an exact order
“global warming” OR “climate change”
Use asterisk to fill in blanks for unknown word
“shall I compare thee to a * day?”
Exclude words from results
Search .. Within
Searches within a specific range of numbers
Use tilde to find words with similar meanings
~elderly (will find seniors, senior citizens, older people, etc.)
Academic Database Search Tips
Enlcose words in quotation marks to search for words in an exact order
“global warming” OR “climate change”
Term AND Term
Searches for results with both terms
airplane AND pilot
Term OR Term
Searches for results with either term
airplane OR aircraft
Term NOT Term
Excludes terms from search results
“military aircraft” NOT commercial
Searches for alternative endings of words
pilot AND air* (searchs for aircraft, airplane, airwave, airspace, etc.)
- ACS Publications (American Chemical Society) - American Chemical Society (ACS). Peer-reviewed journals with cutting-edge articles across a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines. Breadth and scope stretch across chemistry, physics, biology and more. Clarkson subscription includes journal content only, as well as the ACS Style Guide. Full text access may not be available for all articles found; limited to titles that Clarkson subscribes to. 1876+
- Agriculture Collection - Broad coverage of agriculture and its related fields; current and authoritative content that spans the industry -- from practical aspects of farming to cutting edge scientific research in horticulture.
- AIP/Scitation - Current, cutting edge research plus a deep archive of seminal physics content that supports the study and advancement of physics and related disciplines including physics, chemistry, geosciences, engineering, and acoustics. Full text access may not be available for all articles found; limited to titles that Clarkson subscribes to. 1930 - present.
- ASCE Journals (American Society of Civil Engineers) - Peer reviewed articles from journals in the field of civil engineering. Subscription includes only journal articles.
- ASTM Standards (American Society for Testing and Materials Engineering) - Over 12,000 ASTM standards operate globally. Defined and set by us, they improve the lives of millions every day. Combined with our innovative business services, they enhance performance and help everyone have confidence in the things they buy and use.
- Astrophysics Data System - OPEN ACCESS. The SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) is a digital library portal for researchers in astronomy and physics, operated by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) under a NASA grant.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - OPEN ACCESS This database provides the digitized archives of biodiversity literature held in a consortium of natural history and botanical libraries. Book and journal content. Coverage is prior to 1923.
- Biology Journals - Covers a wide range of biology topics including some of the most popular information resources for users in academic, government and public research environments. 1998 to current. Full Text Included
- Chemical Abstracts Complete - An integrated, comprehensive collection of molecular substance information - chemical names & structures, properties, CAS registry numbers, regulatory info - reactions, and references (from journals and patents) in chemistry. Access to CAS is through SciFinder. You must register and create an acount. * Use a computer on the Clarkson network. * Use your Clarkson email address. After registering, you will be sent an email with instructions on accessing the system. Training and Support Also covers biochemistry and molecular biology, biotechnology, environmental science, toxicology, & medicine worldwide. 1907+ Selective material from the late 1800s. Links are provided to search for full text within Clarkson subscriptions.
- Civil Engineering Database - Aerospace Engineering; Architectural Engineering; Bridges; Cold Regions; Computer Practices; Construction; Earthquake Engineering; Education; Engineering Mechanics; Environmental Engineering; Forensic Engineering; Geotechnical Engineering; Geomechanics; Highways; Hydrology; Hydraulics; Irrigation and Drainage; Management; Materials Engineering; Structural Engineering; Transportation; Urban Planning; Water Resources; Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering. Clarkson subscription is journal content only. 1958+
- Compendex - Part of Engineering Village. The broadest and most complete engineering literature database available in the world. Provides a holistic and global view of peer reviewed and indexed publications (journal articles, conference proceedings, reports, book chapters, dissertations) with over 17 million records from 73 countries across 190 engineering disciplines. Links to some full text. 1884 - present.
- Diversity Studies Collection - Scholarly journals and magazines that explore cultural differences, contributions, and influences in the global community.
- Electrochemical Society Interface (ECS) - ECS Transactions is the official conference proceedings publication of The Electrochemical Society. This publication features full-text content of proceedings from ECS meetings and ECS-sponsored meetings.
- Engineering Village - Combined platform for searching Compendex and Inspec databases. Citations & abstracts. Links to some full text.
- Environmental Studies and Policy Collection - Scholarly journals, magazines, and other reference sources covering environmental issues and policies. The database includes diverse perspectives from the scientific community, governmental policymakers, and corporate interests.
- General Science Collection - Scholarly journals and magazines covering the latest scientific developments. Key subjects covered by the database include biological sciences, computing, engineering, and technology.
- Google Scholar - Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites. Connect Google Scholar and Clarkson University
- GreenFILE - Covers all aspects of human impact on the environment. Scholarly, governmental, and general-interest titles dating back to the 1970s include content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments, and what can be done on each level to minimize negative impact. Topics covered include global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. GreenFILE is multidisciplinary and draws on the connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology. Provides indexing and abstracts, as well as open access full text.
- IEEE Journals - Covers more than 30% of the world's literature in electrical engineering, electronics, computer science, information science, materials science, physical sciences and biomedical engineering. Abstract and citation info. available for transactions, conference proceedings, standards, and ebooks. Full text available for journals only.Full text access may not be available for all articles found; limited to titles that Clarkson subscribes to. Volume 1 to present for subscribed titles.
- Inspec Analytics - Explore the interconnected data within Inspec to uncover patterns and trends in engineering, computing & physics research to understand your place in a global landscape. With these precision research analytics, you can set the direction for your research outputs and monitor their impact.
- Knovel - Essential industry technical reference handbooks in a variety of engineering disciplines. Full-text content includes materials and substance data, equations and interactive charts and graphs. 40+ titles.
- Nature Journals - A weekly international journal of science publishing the finest peer-review research in all fields of science and technology. Current Access to all Nature titles (with the exception of a 3 year rolling embargo on new titles added)
- ScienceDirect - Full text articles and eBooks in physical, life, cognitive, and social sciences as well as engineering. Includes ScienceDirect journal archives 1823-1994 and Science Direct Freedom Collection, 1995 - present. Includes thousands of e-books with broad and favorable rights for scientific, scholarly and educational uses. Subjects include life, health and physical sciences, social sciences, and the humanities.
- SciFinder-n - SciFinder is the research tool that provides access to Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) content; an integrated, comprehensive collection of molecular substance information (chemical names & structures, properties, CAS registry numbers, regulatory info.), reactions, and references (from journals and patents) in chemistry. Also covers biochemistry and molecular biology, biotechnology, environmental science, toxicology, & medicine worldwide. 1907+ Selective material from the late 1800s. Links are provided to search for full text within Clarkson subscriptions. You must register and create an account. * Use a computer on the Clarkson network. * Use your Clarkson email address. After registering, you will be sent an email with instructions on accessing the system. Training and Support SciFinder-n FAQ page Migrate your current saved answers and alerts from SciFinder Web Access the SciFindern quick start guide for a step-by-step journey into the product Watch our video collection of SciFindern How-To videos
- Scitation -AIP - Indexes content of publications of the AIP/APS/ASCE/ASME. Topics include Acoustics, Astronomy and astrophysics, Atomic and molecular physics, Biological physics, Condensed matter physics, Energy, General physics, Geophysics, Materials science, Mathematical physics. Nanotechnology, Nuclear physics, Optics and optical physics, Particle physics, Physical chemistry, Plasma physics, Quantum mechanics, Rheology and fluid dynamics, Society and organization, Statistical physics. American Institute of Physics (AIP). Current, cutting edge research plus a deep archive of seminal physics content that supports the study and advancement of physics and related disciplines including physics, chemistry, geosciences, engineering, and acoustics. Full text access may not be available for all articles found; limited to titles that Clarkson subscribes to.
- Scopus - Scopus uniquely combines a comprehensive, expertly curated abstract and citation database with enriched data and linked scholarly literature across a wide variety of disciplines. Scopus quickly finds relevant and authoritative research, identifies experts and provides access to reliable data, metrics and analytical tools. Be confident in progressing research, teaching or research direction and priorities — all from one database.
- TLV-BEI Database - Guidelines designed support decision-making regarding safe levels of exposure to various chemical substances and physical agents found in the workplace. IN-LIBRARY ACCESS ONLY on computer station in the business center. Reference guides and manuals are available. Please ask for assistance. 2012 edition.
- Transportation Research Information Database - OPEN ACCESS Combines the records from TRBRs Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) Database and the OECDRs Joint Transport Research Centrers International Transport Research Documentation (ITRD) Database. Provides access to more than one million records of transportation research worldwide.
- Canadian Newsstream - This database offers unparalleled access to the full text of over 190 Canadian newspapers from Canada's leading publishers. This full text database includes the complete available electronic backfile for most newspapers, providing full access to the articles, columns, editorials and features published in each. Some backfiles date as far back as the late 1970s.
- Chronicle of Higher Education - The Chronicle of Higher Education has the nation’s largest newsroom dedicated to covering colleges and universities. As the unrivaled leader in higher education journalism, we serve our readers with indispensable real-time news and deep insights, plus the essential tools, career opportunities, and knowledge to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers - Search America's historic newspapers from 1836 - 1922.
- Gale OneFile News - Periodical and news information on a diverse set of topics, including humanities, education, business, science, current events, art, politics, economics, social science, law, health care, computers, technology, environmental issues and general interest topics. Includes list of journals accessed.
- International Newsstream - International Newsstream provides the most recent news content outside of the US and Canada, with archives which stretch back decades featuring newspapers, newswires, and news sites in active full-text format
- New York State Newspapers - Buffalo News; Herald American, Herald-Journal, and Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY); New York Observer, New York Post, & New York Times (New York, NY)
- New York Times - Clarkson University has digital access to The New York Times via ProQuest Central. Please visit The New York Times Guide for more information on how to access articles and how to set up alert emails.
- Northern New York History Newspapers - OPEN ACCESS Provided by the Northern New York Library Network to enhance access to the region's unique local history.
- ProQuest Central - Covers more than 160 subjects areas and features a diversified mix of content including scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, books, newspapers, reports and videos. Full-text and citation results.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education - The Chronicle of Higher Education has the nation’s largest newsroom dedicated to covering colleges and universities. As the unrivaled leader in higher education journalism, we serve our readers with indispensable real-time news and deep insights, plus the essential tools, career opportunities, and knowledge to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
- The New York Times - Clarkson University has digital access to The New York Times via ProQuest Central. Please visit The New York Times Guide for more information on how to access articles and how to set up alert emails.
- US Newsstream - US Newsstream enables users to search the most recent premium U.S. news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s featuring newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites in active full-text format. For academic and public libraries, US Newsstream offers exclusive access to the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, and co-exclusive access (with Factiva) to The Wall Street Journal. US Newsstream also offers one of the largest collections of local and regional newspapers, and is cross-searchable on the ProQuest platform.
- Wall Street Journal - This publication's detailed indexing helps users quickly find the news information they need. Each issue is indexed thoroughly, so they have access to not only top news stories but also the information contained on the various sections of the paper. The indexing covers not only complete bibliographic information but also companies, people, products, etc. Coverage: 1984 - current Print/microfilm; Coverage: 1963+; shelved in microfilm cabinets