Checkout & Return Policies
Clarkson students, faculty, and staff must use their Clarkson ID to check out materials.
Faculty, students, and staff of the Associated Colleges may use their college ID to check out materials.
Area community residents may request a Clarkson library card at the Circulation Desk.
- Books, video/av, government documents and theses/dissertations circulate for the semester.
- Journals circulate for one week.
- Reference materials may be loaned out with special permission from a reference librarian.
Material may be returned to the library at any time. Items not returned by the due date will be assumed lost and you will be issued a bill for replacement of the item. Contact the Library if you have any questions or would like to renew an item.
Patrons can renew checked out materials in person, by phone, or by e-mail to the Circulation Desk.
You can also renew through Your Library Account.
All library materials you have checked out are subject to recall
- The library reserves the right to request the return of books when needed by another borrower
- The initial borrower is guaranteed to have library material checked out for two weeks before the item can be recalled.
- Materials needed for reserve can be recalled at any time
- To avoid fines, please return recalled items by the new due date indicated in the email notice that is sent to you regardless of the original due date
This policy applies to all Library users including faculty. It also applies year-round; holidays and interim periods are not excepted.
Patrons are responsible for any material that is not returned or renewed by the due date.
Fines are charged accordingly. Reminder and overdue notices are sent.
Course Reserves – 25 cents per quarter hour
Recalled Materials – $1.00 per day
All Other Materials – 25 cents per day
*All lost items are subject to replacement fees. This includes print material, audio/visual material, equipment, etc. The replacement fees could exceed or be less than the value of the bill you originally receive based on actual market value of materials.
The Libraries can send in-print material from the Clarkson collection directly to you. Make the request through ILLiad.
Requested materials will be mailed to you via UPS with pre-paid return postage
Service is only available to Clarkson community members working and studying remotely and who do not have a Clarkson campus address in Potsdam.