“Interprofessional education occurs when students from two or more professions learn about, from, and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes. Once students understand how to work interprofessionally, they are ready to enter the workplace as a member of the collaborative practice team. This is a key step in moving health systems from fragmentation to a position of strength.”
World Health Organization (WHO). (2010). Framework for action on interprofessional education & collaborative practice. Geneva: World Health Organization.
Hamson-Utley, Jennifer Jordan, et al., editors. Interprofessional Education and Collaboration : An Evidence-Based Approach to Optimizing Health Care. Human Kinetics, 2021.
Moyers, Penelope, and Patricia L Finch-Guthrie. Interprofessional Evidence-Based Practice : A Workbook for Health Professionals. SLACK Incorporated, 2016.
Cuff, Patricia A, et al. Interprofessional Education for Collaboration : Learning How to Improve Health from Interprofessional Models Across the Continuum of Education to Practice. National Academies Press, 2013
Committee on Measuring the Impact of Interprofessional Education on Collaborative Practice and Patient Outcomes; Board on Global Health; Institute of Medicine. Measuring the Impact of Interprofessional Education on Collaborative Practice and Patient Outcomes. National Academies Press, 2015.
Nelson, Sioban, et al. Creating the Health Care Team of the Future : The Toronto Model for Interprofessional Education and Practice. ILR Press, 2014.
Medical Library Association. Interprofessional Education and Medical Libraries : Partnering for Success. Edited by Mary Edwards, Rowman & Littlefield, 2016
Eisler, Riane Tennenhaus, and Teddie M Potter. Transforming Interprofessional Partnerships : A New Framework for Nursing and Partnership-Based Health Care. Sigma Theta Tau International, 2014.
Kitto, Simon, editor. Sociology of Interprofessional Health Care Practice : Critical Reflections and Concrete Solutions. Nova Science Publishers, 2011.
Association for the Study of Medical Education. Understanding Medical Education : Evidence, Theory, and Practice. Edited by Tim Swanwick, Second edition., Second ed., Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- Journal of Interprofessional Care
- Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education
- Health and Interprofessional Practice & Education
- A BEME systematic review of the effects of interprofessional education: BEME Guide No. 39 (2016)
- Interprofessional education: a review of context, learning and the research agenda. (2012)
- Interprofessional education: effects on professional practice and healthcare outcomes (update; 2013)
- Developing an Assessment Tool for Enhancing Interprofessional Education of Patient Safety (2017)
- Learning to Overcome Hierarchical Pressures to Achieve Safer Patient Care: An Interprofessional Simulation for Nursing, Medical, and Physician Assistant Students (Denault, 2017)
- National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education
includes a shared resource center
- American Interprofessional Health Collaborative
- Center for Advancement of Interprofessional Education.
- TeamSTEPPS – Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality training
Evidence-based teamwork system aimed at improving communication and teamwork skills. Materials are available online.
- Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC)
– Core Competencies for IPE (2011/2016)
further update planned for 2023
- Health Professions Accreditors Collaborative
Guidance on Developing Quality Interprofessional Education for the Health Professions
The IPE Interprofessional Education Collection within the Association of American Medical Colleges portal provides access to peer-reviewed teaching or learning modules.
- WHO Framework for Action on Interprofessional Education & Collaborative Practice
- Jefferson Center for Interprofessional Practice & Education (JCIPE)
website of IPE consultants
- Leveraging Podcasts to Introduce Medical Students to the Broader Community of Health Care Professionals
AAMC Journal of Teaching & Learning Resources
- Interprofessional Education and Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: Why Isn’t It Sustainable?
Healthcare’s Missing Logic Podcast #5
- Care to Connect Podcasts
from U. Toronto Centre for Interprofessional Education
- Collaboration in Health Care: The Journey of an Accidental Expert
Ted Talk by Joy Doll